- 1 20 oz package of three cheese tortellini
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ¼ cups milk (I used 1%)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups fresh spinach
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 6 Tbsp finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds, then add flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss prepared and drained tortellini into sauce mixture.