- 2 medium eggplants, sliced length wise into ½-inch slices
- 1 28 ounce jar of marinara sauce ( your favorite brand)
- 1 bag of baby spinach, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable stock
- Dried basil flakes
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place eggplant slices on non-stick baking tray, baking mat or parchment lined tray.
- Lightly brush both sides of slices with olive oil. Alternately, you can brush each slice with vegetable stock. Sprinkle both sides of slices lightly with dried parsley, basil, salt, and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Decrease oven to 375 degrees.
For Spinach Layer
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and balsamic vinegar. Toss until wilted and most of the water has evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Season with sea salt (optional) and fresh black pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a non-stick baking tray with cooking spray, or line a tray with a non-stick baking mat or parchment paper. Make your stacks. Begin with eggplant on bottom, ladle sauce on top, baby spinach and then parmesan cheese ricotta. Repeat to make two layers ending with an eggplant slice, tomato sauce, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 375-degree F. oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until well heated through.