- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fruity Pebbles, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and milk mixture alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated. Add rainbow sprinkles and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add heavy cream and vanilla, beating just until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Use a small offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes, garnished with Fruity Pebbles.