- 3 pounds mcintosh apples (6 to 9), peeled, cored, and cut into large 2-inch chunks (See list of appropriate apples, below)
- ¾ cup apple juice or apple cider, plus extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook until apples are very soft and beginning to disintegrate, 4 to 5 hours on low. I preferred 5 hours. At this point, the apples will start to darken just enough and I think that adds to the flavor.
- Mash apples with potato masher to your liking. If you want super chunky applesauce, just stir the apples until they’ve broken down but are still chunky. Season with additional sugar to taste if you like. Also, you can add more apple juice at this time to adjust the consistency.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.