- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to grease pan
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pre-made pizza dough (I used multi-grain)
- 1 8oz ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, water drained
- ½ bunch fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Put a jelly roll pan or a half sheet pan in the oven.
- Begin by making the tomato sauce. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the minced garlic, thyme and oregano. Cook until just fragrant then add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavor. Shut off the heat and set aside.
- Take the preheated jelly roll pan out of the oven and drizzle some olive oil over the entire surface. Cut the dough into 2 pieces and reserve 1 piece for another use. Stretch the pizza dough out so it is just bigger than the pan, then lay it inside the pan, so the dough comes up the sides to form a crust on the rim. Smear with tomato sauce then tear up the mozzarella and scatter it evenly over the top of the pie. Tear the basil leaves, spread them over the top and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Give it a final season with salt and pepper, to taste, then bake in the hot oven until golden and bubbly, about 15 to 18 minutes.