- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8 ounce package elbow macaroni (I used quinoa pasta)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 ounce package processed american cheese, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the cheddar and american cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2-quart baking dish; mix well.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.