- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 14oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Increase the heat to medium high, add the turkey, and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is just cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- 3Add the chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon, stir to coat the turkey and vegetables, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices as well as the broth or stock, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the bay leaf, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Taste and season with additional salt as needed. Serve with the cheese.