- 1 portobello mushroom cap, thinly sliced
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 whole tortilla (I used udi’s gluten free tortilla shells)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium sauté pan, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and allow mushrooms to caramelize before stirring. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add remaining olive oil to same pan. Add onions and cook until slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add spinach to pan and cook until just wilted. Add mushrooms and onions back to pan and heat through.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush outsides of tortilla with oil. Flip over tortilla halves and divide cheese among halves. Add spinach mixture to one side and gently press halves together to make a sandwich. Grill for 3-4 minutes, turn and grill for another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly charred on both sides. Cut into wedges and serve with homemade guacamole.