- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil (I use sunflower oil)
- 1 (14.5 ounce – only use half) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces jar of salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper or two small, cored and sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen and defrosted or fresh
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Pierce the shell of the spaghetti squash with a fork and place in a microwave-safe dish; cook in microwave on high for 8 minutes. Set aside to cook until cool enough to handle. Cut in half.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the filling by warming one tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the red onion for a few minutes and then add the peppers. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cumin and cook to desired softness.
- When the squash is done cooking, allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling then transfer the squash to a surface where you can scrape the inside and begin stuffing.
- Scrape about ¾ of the inside out onto a dish and then layer the filling inside – black beans and corn, peppers and onion, salsa and cilantro. Top with the spaghetti squash and press down then add another layer of filling. Sprinkle green onion on top and then finish with shredded cheese.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes so that the cheese is bubble and golden brown.