- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers (I used miniature assorted red, yellow, and orange)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 can (14.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (vegetable for a vegetarian meal)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, optional
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: chopped cilantro and guacamole
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine two tablespoons olive oil with all of the sweet potatoes then add peppers, add them after the sweet potatoes have been cooking for about 6-8 minutes.
- Sauté the sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until pretty tender. Add in remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the rice.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
- Add in the undrained diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed black beans, frozen corn, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and vegetable or chicken broth. Give everything a really good stir, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is drained and the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese and then cover the pot with the skillet for 1-2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Top your burrito bowls with chopped cilantro and guacamole.