Who doesn’t love healthy Italian alternatives? Check out this simple but filling meal.
- 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 pound of mild Italian fresh sausage bulk
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick.
- In a large sauté pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium heat for about 3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top of them all.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.