I love baked ziti but it’s filled with so many calories. I was craving it one night and decided to make a “healthier version. Check out the recipe below.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 links chicken sausage (I used aidells Italian chicken sausage!)
- 3 cups ground tomato (No sugar added)
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1lb quinoa penne pasta
- 8 ounces low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 440°F.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil. Add chicken sausage, continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano and basil. Simmer sauce on low.
- In a large bowl combined salt, parsley and parmesan cheese.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta.
- After cooling, add sauce to pasta and mix well. Pour mixture into a 4-5 quart baking dish. Spread mozzarella cheese evenly over pasta. Bake until cheese begins to brown, about 20 minutes.