My boyfriend is Cuban, and his father makes the best Cuban meals. We lived in South Florida for a bit and date nights were usually spent at a Cuban restaurant. One of my favorite meals is Ropa Vieja. Traditionally it’s made with shredded skirt steak, but I decided to make it with chicken for a healthier meal. Check out the recipe below.
For the Slow Cooker
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, sliced long
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced long
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced long
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Place chicken, 1 onion, tomato, and 2 cloves of garlic into crock pot. Add just enough water to cover, add salt and cook high for 4 hours until the chicken is tender. When done, remove chicken and shred with two forks; set aside. Reserve the broth.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cooked chicken, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and about 3/4 cup of the reserved broth to create a sauce. Season with cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer on low for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or salad.