- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/8 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine, sugar, basil, red pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, black pepper and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer.
- Stir in parsley.