Stuffed shells are always a good idea. These are only 360 calories for 3 shells. Not bad! Check out the recipe below.
- 16 jumbo shells
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 32 oz crushed tomatoes (I used Tuttorosso!)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 oz reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 16 oz package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Boil water and cook shells according to package directions, make them al dente.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions and garlic in oil. Add turkey and salt and brown until cooked, breaking up in small pieces. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil, then simmer on low, covered, about 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, egg, spinach, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Once shells are cooked, fill each shell with about 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture and place on a large baking dish, covering the bottom of the dish with a little sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes; uncover foil and bake 5 more minutes.
- Serve with additional sauce on top.