- 4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper, minced
- 4 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking it up while cooking. When meat is brown, add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, extra zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
- Garnish with your choice of toppings (I topped my boats with guacamole – Check out my homemade guacamole recipe!)