- 4 links spicy chicken Italian sausage
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 10 ounces’ pasta, wheat or gluten-free
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh shaved Parmesan cheese
- 4 sage leaves, sliced thin
- Salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft. Remove squash and place in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente, reserving at least 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, sauté sausage over medium heat until browned. When cooked through, set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low sauté the shallots and garlic until soft and golden. Add pureed butternut squash, season with salt and pepper and add a little of the reserved pasta water to thin out the sauce to your liking. Add baby spinach and stir in Parmesan cheese and sage.
- Toss in cooked pasta and sausage and mix until well coated.
- Garnish with more Parmesan cheese.