- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups less sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
For the toppings
- 3/4 cup shredded part skim cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream, optional
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
- Add the drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with cheese and avocado. Also, great with sour cream.