- ¼ cup plain panko
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup prepared marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Combine panko and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, stirring until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on each side, about 3 minutes. Turnover and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour marinara over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.