- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1-28 ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds Italian chicken sausage
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch deep-sided skillet over medium-low. Add in the chicken sausage, sauté meat and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces until no longer pink. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for a minute or two. Add a couple pinches of red pepper flakes and stir. Over the pan, crush the San Marzano tomatoes by hand and add in any juices from the can. Add a half cup of water to the can then pour it into the pan. Stir and cook, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the parmesan cheese and the two tablespoons of butter.
- Serve over pasta.