- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups red cabbage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium pinto, rinsed
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Diced avocado for garnish
- Salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 10 minutes more. Add tomato paste, chipotle, cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add broth, water, beans and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve garnished with avocado.