The image above is the zucchini lasagna before I baked it. The picture was way more appealing this way!
- 1-pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 ½ cups part-skim ricotta
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt.
- Add olive oil to the pan and sauté garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes.
- Slice zucchini into thick slices, add light salt and set aside or 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, blot moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a casserole pan spread ½ cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread ½ cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are gone. The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes.