- 4 quarts water
- 1 16-ounce package chopped fresh kale
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 8-ounce package pre-shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked medium-size shell pasta, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup panko
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 8 to 9 inches from heat. Bring 4 quarts water and salt to a boil in a Dutch oven over high. Add chopped kale; cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place milk in a 1-quart glass measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium. Add onion, and cook until tender. Add flour, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a low boil, whisking often. Cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in cheese, hot sauce, pepper, and salt. Roughly chop kale. Add kale and cooked pasta into cheese sauce. Pour into a baking dish.
- Stir together panko and 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Broil until panko is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.