- 2 acorn squash, halved, seeded
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ounces canned tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons shredded sharp cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place squash halves on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat then season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf, flip the squash over and fill each half with ¾ cup chili.
- Top with cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes.