- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-inch fresh ginger
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup natural style chunky peanut butter $0.93
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Peel and grate the ginger using a cheese grater. Mince the garlic. Sauté the ginger and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic becomes soft and fragrant.
- Dice the onion, add it to the pot, and continue to sauté. Dice the sweet potato, add it to the pot, and continue to sauté a few minutes more, or until the onion is soft and the sweet potato takes on a darker, slightly translucent appearance. Season with cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add the tomato paste and peanut butter and stir until everything is evenly mixed. Add the vegetable broth and stir to dissolve the thick tomato paste-peanut butter mixture. Place a lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high.
- Once the soup reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer without a lid for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Serve the stew over brown rice.