- 12 ounce al fresco spicy jalapeno chicken sausage, cooked
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped shallots
- 4 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 2 fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ pieces
- 2 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 1 fresh lemon
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium saucepan toast the rice over medium heat for about two minutes. Add 1 ¾ water and ½ teaspoon salt to the toasted rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Sauté chicken sausage links until browned. Slice and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet. Add shallot and remaining salt and sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for about a minute. Add chicken sausage and incorporate into shallot mixture and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato. Continue to sauté without a lid for about 5-7 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover with lid. Continue to simmer for about five minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked to your liking when tested with a fork. Remove lid, add spinach and cook until slightly wilted, about 1 minute.
- Cut lemon into wedges. Squeeze half of them into rice and use other half for garnish.