- 10 ounces tortellini
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut in half
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Turn oven to HIGH broil. Place the red bell pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet. Press the flat with your hand. Broil for 10 minutes, or until the skins are mostly black. Remove from oven and transfer charred peppers to a plastic bag. Close the opening and allow the peppers to steam in the bag for at least 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to your blender or food processor. Remove the bell peppers from the bag and peel the outer blackened skins off the tops of the peppers–they should slide off easily. Chop the peppers and add them with the onions in your blender. Process everything until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into your skillet over medium heat. Add the broth and season with salt, and pepper. Stir in the cream. Stir in spinach. Add the cooked tortellini noodles. Add the parmesan cheese and stir.