- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 ½ cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 25.25-ounce jar DeLallo Pomodoro sauce
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add the eggplant and ¼ cup water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Transfer to a bowl and add bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese, parsley, garlic and chopped basil into the eggplant. Season with and pepper.
- Form the eggplant mixture into 24 balls about 1 ¼ ounce each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.