- 1 cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ – 1 cup water
- In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Store in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and add 3/4 cup water to start. Use a fork and mix together, adding the rest of the water as needed to create a dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Use your hands and knead the dough, adding a little additional flour as needed until you create a smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Wrap your dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. This step allows the dough to relax and allows it to be shaped much easier than if you began to work with it immediately.
- Once the dough has rested, break off about ¼ of the dough keeping the rest wrapped. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to roll the dough into a tube about ½ to ¾ of an inch around. Keep the dough lightly floured to prevent sticking.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the tube into ¼ of an inch little pillow. Sprinkle the pillows with flour.
- To shape the trofie, take a lightly floured piece of dough and rub it briskly between the palms of your hands to create a little tube with tapered ends. You only need to rub your hands back and forth three or four times to create the trofie. Drop the shaped dough onto a lightly floured board.