- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 12-ounce container white mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 28 ounces can dice tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Stir in celery, carrots, mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden. Add wine and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer mixture to a crock pot.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.