- 3 ½ cups milk, divided (I used almond milk!)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot cheddar cheese!)
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium pot, prepare pasta to al dente according to package directions and drain into a colander.
- Add flour to a liquid measuring cup. Slowly and gradually add ½ cup of milk, whisking constantly. The flour/milk mixture will be thick.
- Using the same pot as you cooked the pasta, add 1 cup of milk to the pot then whisk in flour/milk mixture until smooth. Heat over medium-low heat whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in 2 more cups of milk and continue cooking on medium-low for 7-10 more minutes, until thickened again.
- Remove pot from heat. Whisk in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and shredded cheese. Once the cheese is fully melted, gently stir in pasta.