- ¼ cup DeLallo extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 stems fresh basil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- ¼ cup heavy cream optional
- 1 16- ounce package DeLallo potato gnocchi
- 8 ounces cherry size mozzarella balls cut in half
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a sauté pan or a saucepan over medium heat. Add the basil and cook for about 2 minutes or until the herb becomes crisp.
- Remove the herb and discard then add the onion and garlic to the oil, lowering the heat if needed so the onions cook gently and don’t brown. Cook until the onions are transparent, about 5-7 minutes, then crush the tomatoes with your hand and add to the pan with juice.
- Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cream and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. Season generously with salt and cook until the gnocchi float to the top of the boiling water.
- Drain and then place the gnocchi into the cooked sauce. Top with the halved mozzarella balls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then drizzle the tops of the gnocchi with the remaining olive oil.
- Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts and the tops become crispy.