- 8 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoon flour (I used gluten free flour!)
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place 1 inch of water in a large pot with 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- 3Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 – 4 minutes, to cook out the flour.
- Add the milk and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat completely onto another burner if possible. Add the cheddar cheese, ¼ cup at a time mixing well until cheese is all melted.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower, then pour into a baking dish and bake until bubbly and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.