- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced garlic
- 32 ounces low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 9-ounce fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 14.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery, sauté 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté 2 minutes longer. Add in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer 12 -15 minutes, or until veggies are almost tender.
- Add in tortellini and cook about 7 minutes or until cooked through, then add in kidney beans, kale and half and half cook until warmed through and kale is wilted, about 2 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with parmesan cheese.