- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup half & half
- 6 cups baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 17.5-ounce package potato gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, rough chopped
- ¾ cup fresh parmesan or romano cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash and onions, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft and golden, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper cook until garlic is fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Add the chicken broth and half & half to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the gnocchi.
- Pile the spinach leaves on top and slowly stir them in as they wilt.
- Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in ¼ cup parmesan and herbs. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup parmesan on the top.